Job Title: Researcher in Interaction Design
Job Ref: FhP_Jobs_2021_11
Job Type: Full time contract (1 year – renewable).
Job Salary: Depending on the academic degree and professional experience of the candidate.
Job Location: Porto or Lisbon, Portugal (likely remote until the end of 2021).
Job Description and Responsibilities:
The R&D group at Fraunhofer AICOS holds three departments: Human-Centred Design, Intelligent Systems and Connected Things. The Human-Centred Design department is composed of a multidisciplinary team with backgrounds in design (graphic, interaction, industrial, service), human-computer interaction, health sciences and mechanical engineering. Together with the other departments, this team works in projects for industry clients as well as in publicly funded research. Within these projects, we are versed in user research, co-design and technology assessment, which we mostly apply to the fields of healthcare and manufacturing.
We are looking for a person who can contribute to our research projects with their knowledge and experience in frontend development. This person will likely have a background in design or a background in informatics, with a strong interest in interaction design or human-computer interaction. The candidate should be experienced with human-centred/user centred design methods, which include experience in involving user in the design process.
For this position we are expecting a person who is proficient in English and who can easily communicate ideas, processes and results in writing and speaking.
– Ability to empathise;
– Attention to detail;
– Highly developed aesthetic sensitivity;
– Highly developed sense of ethics in working with human subjects;
– Proficiency in English and Portuguese both spoken and written.
MSc in Design, Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science or similar.
– Experience in frontend development (experience with React is valued);
– Ideally, familiar with Node.js;
– Experience in wireframing/prototyping user interfaces;
– Experienced in planning and conducting usability studies;
– Experienced in planning and conducting user research;
– Ideally, with track record of scientific publications.
What we offer:
– Excellent work conditions;
– Being part of the team of one of the most renown applied R&D institutions of the world;
– Adequate salary (depending on the academic degree and professional experience);
– Private health insurance plan.
Applications are permanently open until the ideal candidate is selected. A first “cut-off” to evaluate applications day will occur on the 26th of April 2021.
The selected candidate is expected to start working in May 2021.
Applications must be made to the email and contain:
– Portfolio – mandatory (link to online portfolio preferred);
– CV – mandatory;
– Motivation Letter – mandatory;
– Recommendation Letters are optional but also welcome.
Fraunhofer Portugal’s mission to undertake applied research of direct utility to private and public enterprises and of wide benefit to society currently materializes itself through the Fraunhofer Portugal Research Center for Assistive Information and Communication Solutions (AICOS), located in Porto and born in 2009 following a partnership between the Fraunhofer Society (Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft), the Foundation for Science and Technology and the University of Porto.
With a team of over 80 hired researchers and a client portfolio from a broad range of areas, such as health, agriculture, retail or energy, AICOS has consolidated competence in:
• Human-Centred Design;
• Artificial Intelligence;
• Cyber-physical systems.
User analysis in different environments, computer vision, cognitive and decision support systems, and the internet of things are some of the fields of study in this research centre which steers its activities towards applied research and its clients’ success, with whom it establishes close cooperation for the development of innovative, intuitive, accessible and ubiquitous technological solutions. Currently, the innovation themes of interest to AICOS are the following:
• Cognitive connected solutions;
• Digital farming;
• Accountable artificial intelligence;
• Decentralised health technology;
• Living and ageing with data.
AICOS’ track record in institutional and commercial collaborations has built a vast network of active partners. Since 2009, AICOS has been involved in 10 European projects and established partnerships with over 150 organizations in 31 countries.
In order to expand our team, AICOS is interested in applications from candidates feeling to contribute in the particular fields addressed by the centre. We are looking for team players capable of providing excellent qualifications and the skills described above.
The research activities in the scope of this job opportunity are planned to be developed within the framework of projects:
– ConnectedHealth – Smart and End-to-end Healthcare Management Platform, with reference POCI-01-0247-FEDER-046858, Funded by Agência Nacional de Inovação;
– ClinicalWoundSupport – Wound Analysis to Support Clinical Decision, with reference POCI-01-0247-FEDER-048922, Funded by Agência Nacional de Inovação;
– VAICeramics – Visual and Acoustics Inspection of Ceramics, with reference POCI-01-0247-FEDER-069987, Funded by Agência Nacional de Inovação.
Empresa: Fraunhofer Portugal
Local: Porto or Lisbon