We are looking for a creative Web & Graphic Designer to engage people around the world with the work that is being carried out at the Champalimaud Foundation (CF), in Lisbon, Portugal.
The incumbent will integrate the Champalimaud Communication, Events and Outreach team and work together with the different units of the Champalimaud Clinical Centre – CCC, dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and with the different labs from the Champalimaud Research – CR, dedicated to neuroscience and cancer research.
This full-time position will support design needs for a multitude of internal and external communication initiatives, from sharing with CF members the latest news and events, to advertising institutional, clinical and scientific conferences and outreach events to a wide range of audiences.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
– To manage web development projects from concept to production (projects will include research-related websites, events, conferences and workshops websites);
– Produce graphic design materials (posters, layouts, visual identities, booklets, brochures, to communicate conferences, workshops, outreach initiatives, educational and institutional programmes;
– Design layout and infographics for institutional documents, such as the annual report;
– Preparation of images/illustration to visually communicate research news, to be sent out with press releases for media purposes and for our online magazine about science (Ar Magazine – http://magazine.ar.fchampalimaud.org/), CF website and CF, and more specifically, Champalimaud Research social media profiles.
– Undergraduate degree (BSc or Lic.) in a relevant field;
– Experience with website builders (e.g. wordpress, webflow,cargo);
– Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop;
– Experience as UX/UI designer and with website builders (e.g. wordpress, webflow, cargo);
– Good command of written and spoken English;
– Excellent organisational and time management skills;
– Work closely with Video editors, Motion Artist, Illustrators and other Designers, contributing with ideas, opinions and solutions to problems and projects.
– Experience with WordPress or other content management systems, specifically custom themes and plugin development;
– Digital and non-digital illustration skills;
– Ability to read and write in English and Portuguese;
– Experience working in a research environment;
– Interest in learning technology-related skills is relevant.
Duration and place of work: This fellowship will have a duration of six months. Activities will take place at the Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, in Lisbon, Portugal.
Monthly stipend: Fellowship value will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Coordination: The Designer will report to the Coordinators of the Champalimaud Communication, Events and Outreach team.
Application period: Applications will be accepted until March 12th 2021.
Expected position starting date: May 1st 2021
Primary location of work: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown
Source of financing:Internal funding
Evaluation committee members:
Catarina Ramos – Coordinator of the Champalimaud Communication, Events and Outreach team.
Teresa Fernandes – Coordinator of the Champalimaud Communication, Events and Outreach team.
Marta Correia – Senior Designer
Diogo Matias – Junior Designer
Evaluation and selection criteria:
a. Candidates will be screened to determine eligibility based on minimum qualifications listed in call;
b. Candidates meeting minimum requirements will be scored according to required application materials. CV 70% weighting, motivation letter 30%.
Notification of results:
All candidates will receive a receipt of acknowledgment within 7 days. The highest scoring candidate will be notified by email or telephone. All other candidates will be notified solely by email of the final outcome of the recruitment process. After being notified, candidates will have 10 working days to present a claim for redress by email. If no claim is received by the Champalimaud Foundation, the Evaluation Committee’s decision will become definitive.
The mission of the Champalimaud Foundation is to develop programmes of advanced biomedical research and provide clinical care of excellence, with a focus on translating pioneering scientific discoveries into solutions which can improve the quality of life of individuals around the world. By its actions the Champalimaud Foundation strives to be a world leader in scientific and technological innovation with the ultimate objective of preventing, diagnosing and treating disease; bringing the benefits of biomedical science to those most in need. The Champalimaud Foundation endeavours to keep audiences informed of relevant research findings and discoveries in the fields of neuroscience and cancer research, diagnosis and treatment, promoting science literacy through education, dialogue and the dissemination of new ideas and practices. To effectively and accurately communicate the work being carried out at the Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, both internally and with the public at large, a collaborative and interdisciplinary team of communication professionals works close together with all Champalimaud Foundation’s research groups and healthcare professionals.
Interested designers should gather a brief motivation letter, a 2-page CV, and a portfolio. Portfolio should contain graphic and web design works, as well as other relevant work. All files should be sent in English. Include also the names and contact information of two referees. If you do not wish that we contact current or past employers, please state so and explain the reason in your motivation letter. Selected applicants will be called for an interview.
How to apply:
Candidates must complete the standard application form and submit a single annexed .pdf document containing the application materials stated in call. Applicants must be willing to relocate to Lisbon, Portugal and start ~5 weeks after your interview date.
Empresa: Fundação Champalimaud