About the Company
Kialo is the world’s largest argument mapping site: facilitating, capturing and visualizing the world’s hardest debates. Since our launch in late 2017, we have grown into a community with thousands of debates and millions of contributions. Included under the Kialo umbrella is Kialo Edu, a custom version of Kialo built specifically for educators – since launching in November 2019, it has seen great uptake, and is being used by educators worldwide to teach critical thinking and facilitate thoughtful classroom discussion. Kialo Pro, a version of Kialo built for businesses, is in the works and is already in use by companies during the development stage.
At Kialo, our mission is to make the world a more thoughtful place. With clear visualization of arguments and powerful, easy to use navigation tools, Kialo is a dynamic space for thoughtful discussion.
More information about Kialo and our mission can be found in these interviews with our founder in the Financial Times (pdf – https://www.kialo.com/assets/FT-Meet_the_start-up_that_wants_to_sell_you_civilised_debate.pdf) and The Chronicle of Higher Education (https://www.chronicle.com/article/How-to-Promote-Enlightened/242905).
About the Role
We are seeking excellent UX writers to produce localized copy in Portuguese on a freelance basis. You will initially collaborate with an in-house member of our team to translate a glossary of terms which are unique to Kialo into Portuguese. Afterwards, you will work to translate the Kialo app using the localization platform Transifex, progressing to the general site text and help center. Once the current live text has been translated, you will ideally continue to work with us on an ongoing basis, as frequent updates are made to the site which will need translating.
In terms of time-frame, we estimate the initial bulk of translation will take roughly 3 months. We will establish a standard hours-per-week of work based on your availability during the onboarding process, and adjust this estimate accordingly. Ideally, this will progress to an indefinite retainer arrangement for ongoing site text maintenance. You will also be invited to our company Slack, where you will be provided with ongoing support and relevant updates throughout the role.
Qualifications and Experience
– Minimum 2-3 years relevant translation experience, including experience translating, writing, or localizing text for digital user experiences (e.g., interactive features, tooltips, dialogs, microcopy).
– Must know UX writing/translation practices; preferred knowledge of writing practices for accessibility.
– Native-level fluency in Portuguese.
– Excellent English skills required, with a particular understanding of terminology from humanities fields (philosophy and logic preferred).
– Ability to quickly learn technical systems and explain complex features to users through localized UX/UI writing practices.
– Long term availability.
– Experience with Transifex or other web-based localization platforms would be beneficial.